Monday, July 11, 2011

I'm back from Yellowknife! It was a great little trip. I did far too much walking. Since I don't know YK well I decided to try and walk from Walmart to Old Town YK pushing a wheelchair. It's quite hilly and it turns out it is about 4km. I did it but it was a crazy crazy thing to do. I passed CBC North and I was going to take a picture of it and tag Andrew in it (my PG roomie who is obsessed with CBC) but I was too tired. I made a couple purchases... a new iphone cord since mine only works some of the time, Alice in Wonderland the movie, because Alex's cable cut out while we were watching it and the movie store here doesn't have it, and some sandal cleaner because I was all out. We had a scary take off on the way home to Smith. We got about half way down the runway and almost at full speed and we went out of control and had to stop and try the take off again. We were fishtailing like crazy. It was my roommate and another one of my friends flying. Here are some random pictures from YK. The one of the building has my finger in it but I took it because the house's exterior was metal or metal looking and it had all these little windows that looked like a port hole on a boat:





Next topic of conversation, my finger obviously! I got sent to the hospital from work on Friday afternoon because it was getting pretty bad. My boss was worried that I would catch the superbug in it haha. So anyways off to the hospital I went. I've got good and bad news. I'll start with the bad first. The doctor thinks I have osteomyelitis... which is a bone infection. The good news is that it's not confirmed yet so it might be something else. If it is a bone infection (we'll have a better idea tomorrow after I get my xray) I will be getting surgery in Edmonton and I'll have to be on medication/IV treatment for a minimum of two months. It does make sense though. He was basically saying that if it was a superficial infection that the 40 days worth of antibiotics that I've been on in the past year would have cleared it up. Each time I've been on the max dose of oral antibiotics you can be on (for the specific one I'm on), 2000mg a day for 10 days. There is a bruise over when the edge of the tip of my finger bone is and has been there since the begining, the infection keeps originating under the nail in the location of where the tip of the bone is, and I have a lot of symptoms of osteomyelitis (fatigue, swelling, open sore, stiffness). Fingers crossed that it isn't that because it would be bad news but at least it would be figured out then. I'm really sick of the infection. Right now I'm on the antibiotics and antibiotic cream. Fight it from the inside and outside. This is a picture of what my finger looked like on Friday:


My last topic of the night... Mountain Portage Rapids. I always think my posts are going to be short because I'm tired but they always end up being a novel. Anyways, Alex and I went on a hike to the other set of rapids (I've posted about the other two, this is the third and last one). There are tons of hidden beaches and bays it's super neat. I took some pictures which were all random shots but they turned out awesome. I promise I didn't plan the Alex in the air picture haha. We think the one of the egg is a pelican egg. Sad. It was such a huge egg!:




No comments:

Post a Comment